City GuidesRaleighThings to Do

Raleigh Gardens That Are Perfect for a Daytrip

(The Triangle Trend) —  Whether you are looking for a lovely stroll or want to exercise your green thumb, public gardens are the perfect excursion for any day of the week. They let you reap some of mother nature’s best while offering a naturally therapeutic experience. As North Carolina is already known for its verdant landscapes, it’s no surprise that the state’s gardens follow suit. Offering a kid-friendly outing, couple’s date, or peaceful solo experience, here are the Raleigh gardens you need to visit.

 

WRAL Azalea Garden

2619 Western Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27606

Situated conveniently behind the WRAL television studios and between the Main and Centennial campuses of NCSU, the WRAL Azalea Garden offers fragrance and beauty in the heart of the city. Since it opened in 1959, the tranquil garden has continued to add more plant varieties of all kinds.

 

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Gardens

1215 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27610

The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Garden was the first public park in the United States entirely devoted to Dr. King and the civil rights movement. The park’s mission is to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy and contributions to peace, justice, equality, and education by expanding and enhancing the MLK Memorial Gardens.

 

Camden Street Learning Garden

315 Camden St, Raleigh, NC 27601

The Camden garden is situated on one acre of land in downtown Raleigh and features 22 community beds, a 420 sq. ft. market garden, a food forest, a 6,000-gallon rainwater catch system, beehives, a greenhouse, a vermicompost bin, a composting facility, and a kitchen classroom.

 

The Raleigh Rose Garden

2703 Everett Ave, Raleigh, NC 27607

A serene and formal public garden available for events and featuring an extensive collection of rose varieties.

 

Juniper Level Botanic Garden

9249 Sauls Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603

Juniper Level Botanic Garden is a nonprofit, 28-acre educational, research, and leisure garden. Established in 1988, the garden is an institutional member of the American Public Gardens Association and home to the Center for Mindfulness and Nonduality.

 

the well fed community garden

1321 Athens Dr, Raleigh, NC 27606

Sweet Peas Urban Gardens hosts many opportunities to connect folks of all ages with how food is grown—volunteering, workshops, farm dinners, and more. The Well Fed Garden is one example of urban agriculture. 20% of its bounty is donated to volunteers and neighbors and the remaining 80% is sold to local restaurants. This 1.5-acre plot grows delicious seasonal vegetables, fruits, herbs, mushrooms, and flowers, all organically.

 

Durant Nature Preserve

8305 Camp Durant Rd, Raleigh, NC 27614

The Durant Nature Preserve was designated as a preserve in 2010 to protect and preserve the area’s diverse natural ecosystem and provide nature-based recreation and environmental education. Durant offers year-round general public programs for all ages, as well as free-roam gardens and hiking trails.

 

Simple Gifts Community Garden

1075 S Hughes Street, Apex, NC 27502

The Simple Gifts Community Garden was started in 2009 as a community mission of Apex United Methodist Church. From the start, this effort has been inclusive of the entire community. Members share both the labor and bounty of the garden, and new members can join with their whole family.

 

 

Show More

Cierra Smith | Editor

Raleigh-born writer passionate about cultural awareness and social change. You’ll typically find me somewhere studying a language, writing, or doing pilates. Consider me a health-conscious foodie with an interest in all diets and lifestyles.

Related Articles

Back to top button